Friday, May 11, 2012

When Mom Is No Longer There C. L. Anderson



            This weekend we celebrate Mother’s Day. This is the day that phone lines stay busy half the day because everyone wants to call Mom and catch up for a bit. You can almost smell the flowers, can’t you? Moms put up with a lot of …. well, for lack of a better word…. CRAP. On top of the crap, moms deal with a revitalized upheaval of men telling them how much they should make, how long they should get maternity leave and what if any, of their basic rights they should be ALLOWED to have. For those lucky enough to still have their moms with them, for at least that one day, I hope they swallow those words and give their mom ALL the praise she deserves.
            We see the rhetoric against women every day, but do we stop to think there is a mom behind that person delivering such rhetoric? Do we stop to think of what she may be thinking or how she’s feeling? I know my first thought after listening to some of these people is how they can kiss their moms with those mouths; not only their moms, but their wives; the mother of their children (insert perfect family photo op here). To those long suffering, held in the background, BACK BONE of the family I say Happy Mother’s Day to you! These men know, without mom and wife, they wouldn’t be here. Let’s see them bear children, nurse them when they’re sick, show up at all school functions and a plethora of other things. Now, I do realize there are some men that do these things, sit down and shut up, I’ll get to you in June.
            On a serious note, this is the second Mother’s Day without my mom. Now, don’t get all sappy and start saying things like “prayers are with you” or “thinking of you” and whatever other cornball thing that is at the tip of your tongue. My mom and I had one of the rockiest relationships (again no cornball crap) and believe me; she found the most interesting ways to really mess up Mother’s Day. Growing up, Mother’s Day in our house consisted of going to our church and then going to church with my moms’ mom. It wouldn’t have been bad except, I hated sitting there listening to some bonehead lecture about what a wonderful blessing mother’s are and how they should be revered, yet they could have no active role in the church. Then the day would get worse at my grandma’s church, it was a Catholic Mass in Latin. What the hell were those people saying?!!!. All the kids had to go be blessed by the priest and this is where I tended to get in trouble. I refused to go up, not only did I embarrass my grandma; I seriously pissed off my mom in front of her mom. Of course, me being me, I loved every minute of it. I would simply say I refused to go up and have some guy, that was already half way to drunk, touch my forehead and bless me in Latin after praying to a frickin’ statue. Yep, stubborn way back then.
            My brother and I always had to make cards in school; it was interesting to say the least. My brother would always try to make something special to add to the card. He would tell my mom he was going to be an inventor. Of course, there I was standing there telling him what an idiot he was because he spelled inventor wrong. Ahhh family love! On top of making cards at school, mom would take us to the store to pick out cards for our grandmas. My brother would always find some pretty cool cards; me on the other hand, I just stood there staring at the Hallmark section saying I can’t find anything, I can write better sappy stuff than this. Now at that age, I doubt if I could write better sappy stuff, but it was a good case to try to present. My main arguing point (seems I argue about everything, huh?) was that my grandma’s never got me a card or anything so why am I standing here wasting my time looking for cards. Not only did I lose the argument, I think my behind was burning a bit when I went to sit down.
            It’s fun to recall childhood stories you’ve had with your mom. I think as we age we learn to appreciate them just a little more. Some are funny and some are depressing; they are all true and that’s what shapes us as moms to our kids. Sometimes recalling these stories does act as a quasi therapy, oooh free benefits! I often wonder what stories my son tells about me and what stories will he tell his kids. Oh to be a fly on his walls! Scratch that, he’d probably squish me and watch me splatter. I can only hope my son has fond, funny memories of his life growing up. I know I’ve laughed more than one parent should, but I’ve also shed some tears. There are times when I feel I have the most ungrateful, unappreciative son in the world. I’m sure all moms feel that at some point. Through the turbulence of watching some creature become a human being, then morphing into a man, I can happily say I have enjoyed being a Mother. Good, bad, happy or sad; everyday has been Mother’s Day and I’ve been very lucky.
            Keep the stories and the laughter close to your heart. Appreciate what you’ve been taught. No matter how it was taught, trust that there was a lesson for you to learn and grow from. For those that had or have less than stellar relationships with your moms, there’s a lesson there as well. I think for me it was a life time of grooming me to become a better mother, to love being a mother and to appreciate being a mother. I think I was given 42 years to prepare for when mom is longer here and to appreciate that as well. To my son I say, I may not be perfect but ha ha, your scrawny butt is stuck with me! To all the moms out there, have a very Happy Mother’s Day! ~ Just my two cents

No comments:

Post a Comment