Friday, January 6, 2012

How Are You? A Not So Simple Question



      When someone asks how you are, what do you say? Are you one that says “I’m fine thanks” or are you the one that goes into detail about how miserable your life is? Well, has it occurred to you that a person is merely extending a courtesy by asking how you are?
    Why do some feel the need to list every problem they have in life just to answer one simple little question? My mother was guilty of this “open complaining” issue. If someone asked her how she was, she would go into a 20 minute dialogue about her whole day, what hurts this time and what illness she thought she had. Usually, I ended up cutting her off by saying “I just asked a simple question”.
     Everyone goes through some trials and tribulations, and yes; misery does seem to love company.  The humor in this simple little question is the fact that if you don’t ask a person how they are, the person gets offended.  You can, in general, walk around offending people unintentionally and never know it.
     Let’s not forget the death of an interview; “How are you? Tell me a little about yourself”. One would guess that I’m fine thanks, how are you is slightly insufficient. No, the need to know more about you just opened that door between sharing your life story or, at the very least, leaving the person with a thought of how boring and needy you really are. Answer too broadly and you get the non-rhetorical response of “Well alright, I have others to interview and someone should be in touch soon”.  Answers to vaguely you get the “Ok, do you have any questions for me? No? Great, well thanks for your time”. Either way, that was the slam of the door locking as you left with your tail between your legs. 
     It’s amazing how a simple question yields so many different responses and emotions. No matter how you answer this question, the person that asked is going to have a “that’s nothing…. story” Really, do you honestly want to hear about every little detail of someone’s life? Try running into an old friend at the mall and ask them how they are; you will get a whole litany of happenings since the two of you last spoke. Wow, imagine if it’s a person you haven’t seen in years, you’re standing in the middle of a mall hearing stories of things you probably aren’t really interested in hearing about hoping that person doesn’t notice you looking at your watch.
     I think I have the perfect solution; at least it works for me. If I want to know more about how someone is, I usually write them and say something like “Catch me up on the past few months or years…” That opens the door and shows the person you are interested in what they have to say. That affords both of us the chance to talk about family, jobs, losses in the family or whatever. Personally, I’d like to think I’m pretty good about keeping in touch personally with a select few. I really enjoy catching up with a lot of people and following their children’s sporting events.
     Now, if you ask someone how they are and you get a long drawn out ‘woe is me’ story, try this…”I’m sorry to hear that” That closes that door pretty fast and lets a person know you won’t be indulging in their daily dose of self wallowing about life’s misfortunes. I think we could all write a portion of a book about life’s misfortunes, but some would have you believe they are the only ones experiencing some type of setback. Some divulge more information to a person asking how they are then they do their doctors. Seems a bit backwards that people would want to put out a life story to people they haven’t seen or talked to in a while, yet can’t give their doctors more than a yes or no answer. Life’s little irony I guess. ~ Just my two cents

No comments:

Post a Comment