Friday, October 19, 2012

Control and Release: They Could Be Friends ~C.L. Anderson


            Those that know me have often heard me talk about control, not control of a person or a group of people; but control over what happens to me in my life. It took a lot to come to terms that sometimes life just happens and things are actually meant to be released. Now, I have the release part down perfect. If I don’t like you, poof! You’ve been released. I may still talk to you, but trust me; you’ve been released…or have you?
            Growing up, my mom controlled everything. Not only did she control everything, she sent my brother and me to a school that commanded absolute control of everything. Mom controlled what we ate, watched on TV, what time we went to bed, what time we got up, what we wore and many other things.  When I first started school, they controlled what we wore. We had to wear skirts or dresses. That changed around third grade to we could wear dress slacks (yep, that’s what they called them then), but no jeans. Then it was we could wear jeans but they couldn’t have the rivets on the pockets. God forbid they scratched up the hardened plastic seats we sat in. School controlled when we ate, when we went to the restroom, when we had recess (remember that?) and when we had P.E. They even controlled when and how often we went to church and Sunday school by taking attendance for it Monday morning. If I recall correctly, at the time, you had to attend one or both a certain amount of times or it reflected in your grade. I’d have to pull my report cards out from the dark ages to check for sure.
            By the time I got to high school, mom still controlled a lot of things. She would take the phone to work with her to keep me off the phone. What was my reaction to this? I had a computer called ADAM at that time and I was able to hook that up to the phone line and still make calls. I kept myself busy at school so I wasn’t home often, long enough to sleep and eat. I believe my release started during this time. Mom was losing control over making me get up Sunday mornings. I simply would sleep at a friend’s house or just exercise what I thought was my freedom of speech. I guess that message got through loud and clear because I no longer had to return to what I considered a dungeon beneath the bowels of hell.
            Mom is gone now and in a somewhat eerie way I feel like I’ve finally come into my own. They say a woman doesn’t become a woman until she loses her mom. I don’t really agree with that, I’ll just say years of struggle and stress had been released; at least I thought it had. Memories play a big role in control and release and for me, memory might as well be a four letter word. Memories can be limited, sometimes I wish mine were. I remember everything and pretty much anything a person says or does. This is where the release part should come into play. Where is that darn release lever!
            I’ve been told I was controlling, that was a while ago. Would you believe it still pisses me off? Firstly, I had to consider the source and that about sums it up right there. Yet, I’m still pissed by it. Why? Well, I look at myself as a person with super high standards for my son and the people I deal with. My son once told me my standards were too high. That’s coming from a member of the 2015 college graduating class. He was in honors classes and maintained good grades throughout school and was a two sport athlete. He was never in trouble with the law, he doesn’t have anyone walking around calling him daddy and he shows much respect. Hmmm, standards I’ve set, that young man has met. It wasn’t easy, but he did it. I had the honor of sending that young man off to school with an academic and athletic scholarship. I had the tears to prove it. People, having and setting standards does not constitute control. I look at it as putting a road map in place and setting attainable goals to paint that road map whatever color you choose. I had to let go of my son and watch him continue his growth without my pushing, but knowing he had the tools to take care of business. I had to release and breathe.
So, here is my idea of control; this is going to wrinkle some feathers for sure. To me, and remember this is my opinion; you know what they say about opinions. When you have no plans for your child to gain more knowledge and allow them to sit under you because they can’t make a move without you, that’s control. I had a friend who told me her and her husband had no plans for their child to go to college because neither of them went. That blew my mind, why would you not want your child to do better! When a person wants to dictate what you do with your time in your own life, that’s control. What makes that control? Try saying “no” to someone like that. That is the quickest way to shut down a control freak, with a word they do not like to hear. This is why they make sure they are surrounded by people who don’t know any better. These are people that I have mentally released, that harkens back to my first paragraph. A mental release is a bit different than completely releasing a person from your very presence.
I think, or at least I’d like to think my mom didn’t mentally break me because I was always so determined to break away. I knew I was more intelligent than what she thought; I was doing her college homework and typing it out when I was in fifth grade. I was determined to make sure my son made it out, mainly because I never had that chance. I gave him what my mom didn’t give me, freedom. He has the freedom to make his own choices, good or bad. I can voice my opinion, but I also tell him he doesn’t have to agree. He’s been taught to stand his ground and question everything. I’m from the time when you didn’t speak up at home or in school. I’m sure you can imagine me staying in trouble somewhere because of my mouth.
My overall point is this; wanting to see someone succeed is not control. Holding them back because you don’t want to be alone is control. You can’t mentally hold someone back then complain about everything that goes on, that creates a mental oxymoron. If me setting high standards and expecting them to be met is control, guilty as charged, but you are wrong. I also hold to the greater knowledge that I have released him to the world without strings attached. You can’t teach your little bird to fly then tell them they can only fly the way YOU tell them. You can’t expect to hold friendships based on the absurd inner thinking that you can control them and what goes on in their households. Sometimes one needs to understand that it takes more control to release. So to those that have called me a control freak, know that you have been released. I may talk to you and make nice, but you are not an issue. I control what goes on in my life and naysayers are a blip on the spectrum.  One final thing to keep in mind…keep a look out for those college graduation pictures. ~Just my two cents.


            

No comments:

Post a Comment