Friday, March 9, 2012

Before Puberty Struck- C.L. Anderson


                                                              

            Remember those days when as children our only cares were can we go out and play with our friends? Can we go to the beach tomorrow? Can anyone spend the night? Man, I miss those days. I remember when I was in the first head start program that was offered in this state, that’s where I got my first concussion. I remember my mom trying to get me in school when I was four because I was already reading; she was told I had to be five by a certain date. Woot, woot, thank goodness for January birthdays! Those days I was living in the town of East Chicago Heights. We didn’t know we were poor in that town, we just knew life was good.
            The one constant in those days were the friends I had at school. We started kindergarten together and graduated eighth grade together.  Something I didn’t realize until I was much older is the fact that a lot of people still have some type of relationship with the people they started grade school with. These were the friendships that were formed before the quirkiness of hormones kick in, before puberty struck. Your personalities and beliefs are carved out of the same institutional stone and you come to the realization that you really haven’t changed that much from when your tiny little feet walked through that kindergarten door and the collective tiny voices first learned the pledge together.
            It seems no matter what other people we all meet later in life, those that started grade school together still have a bond. By the time you hit that huge high school hallway and meet other people, hormones have kicked in full gear and puberty has started reshaping that nice little demeanor you used to have. No longer are you protected by the small groups you’ve known since you were five. You’ve entered a cesspool of personalities that have converged in a new world where everyone struggles for some type of attention. Life just started to really suck. In my case, I saw people I hadn’t seen since I was ten and boy were they different. I went to a different high school than my grade school friends. A lot of them got to stay together in high school, I had one person go to the same school; and that person ended up transferring out.
            Fast forward through life and look at the life you’ve led. You may keep in touch with the people you went to high school with, but sometimes you get hit with a dose of reality; they’re still the same way they were when you all walked the same crowded halls. By this time in your life, you may have reconnected with your grade school buddies. A light bulb goes off over your head, there’s something about returning to where you started, even if it’s only in the realm of your mind. There’s a familiarity that is very comfortable. The conversations are all about catching up and pictures of the kids. Reconnecting with the pre-pubescent part of your life also puts a lot of things you had at the back of your mind in better perspective.
            Think about this; are you more likely to react to bad news about your high school classmates or grade school classmates? For me I would honestly have to say anything relating to my grade school classmates would resonate stronger. I guess because we are a group of people that have known each other at face value, prior to putting on our individual masks we wore to get through high school. We are at the age to where we are experiencing losses in our lives that we never thought of when we were younger. When you come from a small school and you hear bad news from your classmates, it will hit you a little harder. Coming from a small school affords you the chance to have a second family and when part of that family goes through issues, it is felt by all.
            Before puberty strikes should be called “life at face value” Those that have known you during those times saw you being the best and worst of yourself. You struggled learning the same things in classes. You shared grade school crushes together and, in my case, we got our first taste of wine together. Yep, only in a private school can you expect an adult to legally contribute to the delinquency of a minor and put it under the guise of the Bible. Hey, that wine was pretty good!
            Even though I hate the school I went to, I do have to admit, that was definitely my foundation to rest my butt on and the cornerstone to model my life from. In that crappy environment, I learned my values. I learned to treat others the way I wanted to be treated. I learned that any one of my grade school friends are a phone call or an email away and we can pick up a conversation like we were still together. Now, that’s not saying I don’t appreciate the people I’ve gotten the pleasure to know since grade school, it’s been a fun ride for sure. I’m just saying that there’s always time to reflect on those that knew you before puberty struck. ~Just my two cents
            

No comments:

Post a Comment